Interesting places to visit on the web - links for women and those who love us
posted: 10/08/2008 12:00 am
Dear Sex Counselor,
Where can I go to find good erotica and erotic content relevant to women? Everywhere I go there is nothing but stuff that seems to be geared toward men and their fantasies. What about me?
We love to stroll around the web looking for interesting places to visit. Here is the beginning of her suggested links. If you have other places to suggest, send them to me!
General Women’s Erotica
- Jane’s Guide (http://www.janesguide.com)is one of the most comprehensive guides to adult content on the Internet. While it is not specifically woman-oriented, they give you enough information to make good choices for yourself. And hey, they liked us!
- Annie Sprinkle’s Site (http://www.anniesprinkle.org). Not erotica, but she’s been around, and many of the links from her site will take you on interesting journeys.
- For lots of information on erotica books and authors, head to www.erotica-readers.com. The site has a great archive of interviews with erotica authors, several stories for you to peruse at your leisure, and reviews of erotic books and movies. There’s also an e-mail discussion list you can join if you want to discuss erotica with others.
- Scarlet Letters (http://www.scarletletters.com). A well-edited site with lots of erotica and ideas. Not a mild-mannered site, but interesting and worth visiting if you are looking for some cutting-edge erotica that is woman-friendly.
- Carol Queen (http://www.carolqueen.com), who is one of our favorite erotica writers and sexuality educators. Her site is a work in progress, but it’s a nice place to start to get to know Carol.
- Purve (http://www.purve.com): The original adult site for women is a man-loving site for women who want to see it all, with a woman’s perspective. The downside? You have to pay to play. Sigh.
- The Rare Erotica Blog features vintage and rare pieces of visual erotica. It’s free, and updated frequently.
- Conisseurs of erotic art may enjoy www.sexycanvas.com, a fun site that allows visitors to digitally place works of erotic art into different room setups. You can even upload a picture of your own room to see what your chosen piece of art will look like in context. It’s a useful tool, and very fun to play with!
Sex Info for Women
- Nerve.com is an online sex and culture magazine that consistently presents useful, interesting information on sex and culture issues. Browse around the free sections to see erotic photography, read erotic stories, read scholarly articles on sex, read interviews with sex-positive activists, and more. You can also pay for access to their full archives, as well as special members-only features.
- VaginaPagina is a body-positive, progressive informational site and community that is all about vaginas, vulvas and other stuff that relates to women’s bodies and wellbeing. It is a safe space where women can talk in detail and without shame about anything and everything vulva- and vagina-related.
- BUST magazine for women has a wonderful website geared toward women in their 20s and 30s. The site features a few of the articles found in the magazine, as well as links to other female-friendly websites, travel guides for women, and a great message board where you can trade sex tips and stories with other fiesty women. Just ignore the sex toys they sell in their shopping area - they’re made from jelly rubber and are not good quality.
- Betty Dodson’s site (http://www.bettydodson.com): with lots of stories from masturbation advocate Betty Dodsonand others, plus great information on why self-pleasure is so good for you.
- The Welcomed Consensus (http://www.welcomed.com) has this most wonderful site devoted to women’s pleasure. If you want to know more about the myriad ways women can enjoy orgasmic pleasure, this is a place to visit.
- Clitical.com is a web site that celebrates women’s pleasure. They link to an expensive toy site, so we don’t recommend shopping with them, but the rest of the site is well worth visiting for the enthusiasm they have for all pleasures for women.
- Society for Human Sexuality (http://www.sexuality.org). Not a site for women only, but there is a strong pro-woman slant to much of the information, and it is one of the more comprehensive sites on sex that we’ve found.
- Network for Excellence in Women’s Sexual Health (http://www.newshe.com)is the site operated by Drs. Laura & Jennifer Berman, and it is devoted to many aspects of women’s sexual health. We don’t always agree with them, but we appreciate the work they are doing and wholeheartedly support it.
- The-Clitoris.com is a wonderful site for those who want to explore the incredible range of women’s bodies. The site contains some excellent sexual health information, lots of gorgeous photographs of vulvas, and sections devoted to masturbation, cunnilingus, massage, desire, and body image, among other topics.
Places of Interest for Teens
- The Scarleteen website at www.scarleteen.com is one of our favorite resources for young people who want a safe place to get sex information online. It’s incredibly comprehensive, and we think it provides answers to most anything teenagers would want to know about sex.
- Another great resource for teens is the Go Ask Alice site at www.goaskalice.com. Run by Columbia University’s Health Education Program, the site answers questions from real teens on just about any topic. A great resource for anyone, especially teens, looking for information on sexuality or just health in general.
Lesbian Places of Interest
- Lesbian.com is a comprehensive site with information and links for lesbians of all interests.
- The website for popular lesbian sex magazine On Our Backs has a good selection of content from the magazine, as well as erotic photo galleries with explicit pictures and words. Check it out at www.onourbacksmag.com.
The Sex Counselor
- Hemorrhoids and anal sex
- Listening to Tweety: Erectile Dysfunction Warns of Medical Problems
- Why lesbians should use barriers during sex with new partners